From Print to Pixels

Okay, I’ve finally finished something I’ve been putting off for a while. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been polishing up Slicesre-working the intro, clearing up a few typos, completely redesigning the cover.

Stayed up late Saturday night doing the last of the editing and re-formatting, sanity-checked everything today, and re-uploaded it to CreateSpace, and ordered another proof copy.  The book will be briefly unavailable while I go through this process again, but I think it’ll be worth it.  I can’t wait to show you the new cover.

I also uploaded the book to Amazon’s Kindle store.  I’ve really been wanting to do this — all of the indie authors whose experiences I’ve been avidly following online say that that’s where most of their sales come from.  I had read that the process was pretty simple, too — you could just format your book in Word and upload the .doc file and it would be automatically converted for you.

Ummm, yeah . . . didn’t really end up being that easy.  My first attempt looked horrible. Turns out I would have been better off just coding the HTML for it by hand in the first place.  Man, what a headache.  I can see why a lot of people prefer to just pay someone else to do it.

But the important thing is — it’s done!  Which is awesome.  I’ll let you know as soon as it’s available.

I also managed to answer all my e-mail, design and order some promo postcards for the book and for Causality, and finish designing the pledge reward T-shirts for the party I’m running at Norwescon.  Busy weekend.  Now that the day-job work week has begun, maybe I can relax . . . .